Saturday, August 29, 2009

In response to "Legacy" (chopped in size) :)

First of all, it's almost 11pm and this is about the only time in the entire Jchoc time-space continuum that I ever, ever get loquacious regarding anything.

I read this last post that will fall directly below mine, and as I type, I think about how two people are (theoretically) supposed to contribute to this blog. So what better way than to respond to the other writer's post? (I was going to do it anyway, but now I have a legit reason of sorts) (I guess)

Anyway right! About Legacies! I read the previous blog and it was truly wonderful to see the beauty of the nice family and the traditional settings and activities that my fellow blogger and friend has described. She has every right to be content and grateful for what she has and the life she has lived. Reading it made me think about my own life, and actually, how quite different it is. And also how it has shaped me as a person. Oddly.

[...]

My life has made me who I am, and I am still trying to figure that out today. (who I am, that is) I wish that there was a better way to say this, but sometimes life really sucks and sometimes I don’t know what to do about it. You get thrown experiences and you’re supposed to live through them. But nobody tells you how.

Family is a beautiful concept and it must be carefully handled. It makes you who you are, whatever that “who you are” will be. Be grateful for it, no matter who’s part of your lovely legacy league. You’ll never get a better bunch of people to show you what life’s all about, really. And if you still find life surprising, they are certainly there to commiserate with you in your sufferings. I find it that way with mine. I’m not nuclear, and sometimes I wish it were so, but, that’s not really what the big “it” is, is it? It’s the beauty of the human experience. I really like this line from an Avett brother’s song I am particularly fond of (hey Brian if you read this and made it this far, I bet you can guess which one!):

“Always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name”

We’re all probably nuts like the rest of the world, but I love my family.

-Jaychoc-o-lotto

4 comments:

  1. Jamella..shhhh.... don't tell my professors that i'm slacking off and didn't study....

    AND WOW!! i never knew all this about you.... (man, i'm such a loser as a friend) but from my point of view, you become a better person because of it. "Out of difficulty grow miracle!"
    ^__^

    P.S. I don't hate you guys and try to avoid everyone at schoool, i'll try to find more time to see you guys and hanging out in the apartment!!! Promise!!!

    Quany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That's okay that you are slacking Quanny-Quan! :)
    Aw Quan, you don't have to say that. Although I appreciate the comment. Or, I just appreciate that someone takes time to read my loads of crap. haha

    You better QuannyQuan! You're just as much a friend as everyone else! And I WILL take that as a promise!! Glad to have seen you this week though!

    Jamella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm a month late, but. Whatevs.

    There is no "perfect" family. Having a "cookie cutter" life is blah!!! Except for the top rich 1% in the world, life is most definitely a STRUGGLE. ALWAYS. Struggle gives you character, and it helps puts the world in perspective. If I hadn't been born a minority and had my parents' legacies to carry with me everywhere I go, I would be much less of a person. Like Quan said: miracles blossom.

    You totally have it right, Jamella -- no need to apologize or preface things with explanations. It doesn't matter what you had compared to others -- what matters is that you HAD, and you can still share those experiences. That's life, and that's family. And I love you.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cheryl! I like your perspective on family. It shows up in every part of you. You proudly represent your family, and I appreciate and respect that! :)

    I agree with what you have to say! Struggles become experiences which become lessons, or actually, beautiful scars you and I can carry along with us, reminding ourselves of what it took to get to the "you" and the "me" of today. (yeah, that was mangled)

    And what Quan said was pretty sweet! (yay Quan!)

    Thanks for reading my scary, honest ramble! I appreciate your comments...

    and I love YOU too!

    I don't know what I'd do without you and your OWN shared wealth on life, how you translate it, and what it means for you. Honestly.

    Thanks for reading!

    Jamella

    ReplyDelete