Saturday, April 18, 2009

She inspired me

I wish I could write like a certain person I know. Her words are down to earth and homey and easy to understand. And that's what writing should do. Communicate. I read this line from an apparently controversial play called Oleanna. This guy named John says in regards to simple conversation such as commenting on the weather:

"...it is the essence of human communication. I say something conventional, you respond, and the information we exchange is not about the 'weather,' but that we both agree that we are both human"

I thought it was pretty cool. Communication is all about agreeing that we are human. It's what separates us from all else living. The ability to think, to question, to criticize, to argue, to complain, to laugh, to laugh harder, to scream at each other's faces, to agree or understand, or even understand that we'll never understand, to love, to really love and not be afraid, to sacrifice for another, to be strong in spite of how we feel, to be high self monitors, or not even realize we are low self monitors, to have family, to have friends, to have loves, and do this whole life thing every single day whenever we just want to turn over and go back to sleep.

But really, writing and speaking are two things we can't live without. And I guess that's the moral of this blog. Ha

-- jchoc, yo

oh, and apparently "flowing" is pretty cool too. I know two people who wish they could do it. haha :P

2 comments:

  1. Wowza, I really like that JChoc. Really really interesting quotation...definitely some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you mentioned that play today, that's the quotation I was trying to remember! I've never read the play, but one of my friends was reading it for theatre and shared that quotation with me.

    ...Ugh, now I HAVE to go read that play. :P

    P.S. You're gonna kick ass on that LSAT.

    ReplyDelete